Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thrill of victory, agony of defacation

We woke up to a 6am phone call letting us know that there was the infamous NW black ice and school would be delayed by 2 hrs. Yeehaw, I'll ride that pony all the way back to sleep, thank you very much. Of course, we were woken again at 7:30 by the pit pat of super turd. I'll take 7:30 any day. I'm especially grateful for late start today because today was also State project day. AKA, this is due tomorrow and I need 20 3Dimensional items relating to Alaska plus a box to put it all in that is also decorating to reflect Alaska plus a note card for each item describing the said item and how it is relevant to said project. Before tomorrow. So the late start did give us a chance to finish that lovely job.
More importantly, while we were at the table this morning working, I heard Kiki (who was doing her hair in the bathroom. For the full 2 hours.) ask Superturd if he was going poop. Uh-oh. I hurried to help him clean up the accident that I assumed was waiting. Not only was there not, in fact, an accident, but there was my little man child sitting on the toilet. When questioned, Kiki revealed that not only did he take off his own pants, he also put the potty seat on the toilet and crawled up on the throne announcing that he was going to go poop. Oh, the joy that filled my cold heart. The tears that nearly filled my dry-dry eyes. What a glorious day in our home. My parenting efforts might actually mean something. Maybe not.
We went about our day of errands and endless driving, arriving home at about 12:30. Superturd ran upstairs to play. Superturd ran downstairs, through the house, and across the family room to tell me that he had had an accident. Apparently the apple juice was not sitting too well with little man. He had poop down his leg (thank goodness for elastic ankle sweats, it was just like a little poop bowl in those things) and into his shoes. And across the carpet. And down the stairs. And on his sister's bedroom floor. Poor baby duh-duh. It was awful. Chris couldn't figure out what was possibly strong enough to sterilize the carpet, since you can't pour bleach directly onto the carpet. I assured him that there is already enough gross stuff on our carpet from our shoes, he could just clean it up.
So, that was the low point of the day. That, and our child, while giving her state presentation to the class, announcing that she had just thrown it all together last night. I was so proud to be there at that moment. Why do I try?

0 comments: