Monday, February 4, 2008

Teen lit

I have a confession. I love having a teenage daughter. It's not the mood swings or the talking back that I love. It's the books. Books that I would not normally feel comfortable reading are acceptable when I'm just borrowing them from her. I love the cheesy romance. I love the simple, predictable, comfortable plots. I love being swept back to high school without having to relive it myself. I keep trying to read grown up books, but I get sucked back into hers. I just love them.

I also love that me and my 10yo sit in the car at the high school when we pick up the high schooler and check out the "hot guys". Then we fight over who saw him first and who has rights to call each one their "boyfriend". Usually we agree to share, since we both bring different things to the table. All of this makes the high schooler extremely agitated (it takes alot). She thinks it's "disgusting" that her mom and her little sister have the nerve to check out the much younger/older guys. I wonder if she realizes how much her fits encourage us. What's really humiliating (even to me, but I'll type it anyway) is that I know a lot of their names from cruising myspace. Gross, huh? I know. I should probably delete this, but I won't. What's even grosser is when I know that someone is a couple and then I know when they've broken up, thanks to myspace. This is actually why I've stopped going on myspace, I finally recognized that I had a really pathetic problem. Now I just cruise blogspot and read blogs of people I don't even know and oh...my...gosh I think I have a new problem.

0 comments: