Monday, July 14, 2008

That state testing is so flawed

Every year when we had to take those dreaded fill-in-the-bubble-perfectly-with-a-number-2- -pencil-and-if-you-mess-up-just-a-little-you'll-be-sent-to-special-classes type tests in school the results would claim that I was smart. This lead to the assumption that I should do well at my grade level, this assumption lead my parents to ground me for not doing well. Ok, Mom reads this, so I'll include that I had bad grades because I never ever did homework, not because I struggled with the assigned work. Nonetheless, I was raised constantly hearing how smart I was and how I JUST NEEDED TO APPLY MYSELF. I'm starting to doubt that whole assertion. I'm starting to realize that I'm clearly borderline "special needs". Not full on, get government help, kind of special needs, just really not bright. At all. Here's just on small example of my "intelligence" being proven fictional.



I'm not sure how I managed to get this burned. I'm in my 30s, I'm no longer laying out on the roof with baby oil slathered on my body, believing that it would somehow magically make my white skin the perfect shade of bronze. I'm just stupid enough to stop and reapply sun screen to my kids and not to myself. Not even once. For a whole day on the river. Dumby Dumb Dumb.

3 comments:

Lars said...

Oh ouch! I'm sorry. Do you have any generous, compassionate souls around willing to slather you with aloe vera?

Lloyd said...

OH MY HECK!!!!! Owwwwwww! Forget rubbing Aloe Vera in, sleep in a tub full of it. Yikes I'm sorry!

jlcumber said...

OUCH! I didn't realize it was that bad. I only have one kid...I should have been putting sun block on you too!