Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Does this Count and thoughts on Polygamy

Does blogging in the middle of the night count against my goal to be less electronic dependant?


I am only awake because I had a nightmare, and not even because of the nightmare, but because I screamed, and not because of that, but because Chris woke me up to see if I was ok. I was fine until I got woken up. I can never get back to sleep once I'm awake. I think I've been following this polygamist thing too closely because I dreamt that Chris was taking a twelve year old bride.


It was probably triggered by his comment last night that if we move to Texas he's taking Sister King and Sister Pierce as his other two wives because they both have brought our family amazing cinnamon rolls. Yeah, cinnamon rolls. Last night the King's knocked on our door with some and they weren't cheating on our diet, because they were a gift. Once, when we were picking up Kai from the King's home and Sister King had an apron on and he said something about her being even hotter in an apron, or at least that's how I heard it. It might have been Wow, she's in an apron, could she be any more perfect? But, who's to say. Anyway, I reminded him that they have their own husbands, so that wouldn't really work out, unless that sect also counts wife swapping among their approved activities. Either way, he was wooing a young girl and I was screaming, so there's that.


That and Kiki was throwing up all evening, so now I, of course, am sure I feel sick to my stomach and I'm contemplating a Google search to see what I might be dying of.

Is anyone else conflicted about them taking all the polygamist's babies from their moms? I know that the underage arranged marriage thing is sick and wrong, but lots of societies wouldn't think so. I'm not saying don't arrest who ever needs to be arrested, but I don't think the kids need to be ripped from their mothers' arms. I don't know, I'm sensitive about kids and they won't even let the nursing ones stay with their moms, and it's not even on the compound, it's in the shelter place. They're taking all the kids and putting them in foster care. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like the right answer to me. Please share you feelings with the group (hey, that's another Bergism meaning tell me how you feel about that, if you couldn't figure that out). I invite all opinions. Is it because I have a concern that it's just about religious persecution, or are other people feeling this way at all. It's funny that we are so adamant that it's not the same religion as ours (which it's not, but it did start from the same roots, after all), but when it comes down to feeling they are being treated unfairly I feel a little protective of them. Am I crazy? For real, tell me.

I also believe that polygamy shouldn't be a crime if all parties are old, like 25, or something. It's not illegal to have mistresses or lots of baby mommas, but you better not marry more than one, even if they are both consenting adults. Yeah, cause that's WAY worse than gay marriage. I'm thinking there were some pretty high up guys in the Bible that did it, and I'm pretty sure there weren't any gay marriages. Not without the city being destroyed anyway.

3 comments:

M and M said...

Yes, I Think you are absolutely right. If polygamy is sick and wrong and, I think if there are childern involved it is.Then there are not enough bad words to decribe gay marriages.I Agree with you if all adults and all are willing. Goverment should not have a say in it.We have been invited to lots of wife swapping partys, No body outlawed them. We never went by the way.I Also agree about the babys and Childern. Sounds like the childern are being punished for the sins of the fathers. Aunt Linda

jlcumber said...

I am following in Aunt Linda's line here. I don't think the mom's and babies should be punished. Removed maybe. My only concern with having polygamy legal is that when you grow up in something sometimes you don't know that there are other options out there. BUT: I do agree that it shouldn't be governed by law...but by religion. it is a religious thing ... on government thing. Even my anti religious husband agrees with me on that one. Wow

Lars said...

After reading Carolyn Jessop's ESCAPE recently I am sure there is an abundance of abuse of various kinds going on there that is, unfortunately, accepted as part of their family dynamic.

I believe those who are abused, no matter where they live or with whom should have help. I am glad someone spoke out again.

At the same time the way it was done all at once reminds me of the Native American children taken from their families on trains & sent to boarding schools, like what is now Haskell Indian Nations University in Lawrence, KS.

And it's just sad. These kids come from an entirely different culture. I think it is traumatic to lose all their family connections & be placed with families who believe & live totally different all at the same time. The nursing infant issue is heart breaking.

And just because you practice a religion that is different doesn't make it a cult. But this one, unfortunately, does have "red flags".