Wednesday, April 23, 2008

We're All Gonna Die Volume III

We're stocking up on wheat and flour, etc, in preparation for the world wide starvation that is (according to the papers) immanent, plus we now recognize that it's something we should have been doing all along. Yeah, I'm old, but I'm teachable. We figured we could squeeze some money out of other things and buy four buckets of wheat. On our way to the grain store we grabbed our mail and in the mail was a gift card from his Mom for almost the exact amount we were about to spend on wheat. We used the card and we were out no money from our pockets and we went away from it feeling like we were given an answer that we were doing the right thing. I'm not saying we're all gonna starve, I'm just saying I believe we should have some food storage and we're going to work on being more self sufficient while we're at it. I think I have him talked into buying some egg laying chickens. They'll go nicely with my cowboy boots. I think I'll paint the shop a nice barn red color to go with the chickens and the boots. Maybe a cow for milk. It could live in the barn colored shop with the mice. I like milk products.

1 comments:

Lars said...

Yesterday or the evening before...I told my husband that it's getting to the point that buying some acreage and growing your own food might actual be affordable again.

This coming from a girl who HATES (not just a capital H, but all the other letters too) chickens after moving onto a farm at 4 1/2 and being pecked on the thigh by a rooster in the first 5 minutes of visiting....and then having to collect eggs and junk for several years. Oh & I hated eggs for years.

But remember how Clarks had theirs in this cool box thing where you could open a little door to get the eggs without having to walk among the chickens...you might try it that way.